- Goals: Increased environmental flows, protected biodiversity, increased water supply, increased aesthetic value.
- Solutions: MAR and ASR, natural recharge and discharge protection.
- Green infrastructure: Protecting springs, protecting pressure of artesian aquifers, protecting natural recharge and discharge areas.
- Grey infrastructure: Water/runoff retention/infiltration basins, in-channel mechanisms, irrigation canals, recharge wells, capping freely flowing artesian wells.
- Policy interventions: Reserve/environmental flow requirements, (ground)water quality standards, recipient environmental quality standards, land use regulations, managing groundwater use/entitlements, regulation of recharge/discharge.
Building resilience to climate change in rural India
Sustainable management of groundwater-based natural infrastructure of the Great Artesian Basin in Australia
Ensuring long-term services from a mega aquifer system under pressure
Cost-effective and intelligent ways of storing and managing water underground for multiple purposes – including for birds